Implementing a 21st Century Disability Policy
1. Disability is Natural
2. Our lives should be self-directed (with whatever supports are necessary), and our desires the predominant consideration
3. We all need families – the most fundamental of natural supports – be it parent(s), sibling(s), or others to whom we are close.
4. We and our families are the most important stakeholders (though we recognize the crucial role played by all stakeholders).
5. Families should receive the supports we need so that our children or other family members can remain at home.
6. Supports should be designed to help us and our families recognize our true abilities and achieve our potential.
7. Services should be designed to build and strengthen integrated – as opposed to segregated – lives, helping us and our families within the community, not outside of it.
Next: System Barriers