Chapter 171, Flexible Family Support – It’s the Law!
Chapter 171 (an Act providing support to individuals with disabilities and their families) was passed by the Massachusetts Legislature in 2002. This page provides copies of this important legislation in English, Spanish and Chinese, as well as information about the legislation and its purpose. Chapter 171 requires certain state agencies to issue annual plans stating their specific goals for implementation of the Act in the following year. You will find copies of these plans in this section and also the mandated State Agency Liaison Contact List.
Summary of Chapter 171 & Flexible Family Supports
- CHAPTER 171 OF THE ACTS OF 2002: AN ACT PROVIDING SUPPORT TO INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES AND THEIR FAMILIES (Summary): Overview of the law, its purpose and why it’s important
- Legislation: Complete text of Chapter 171 of the Acts of 2002
- CAPÍTULO 171 DE LAS LEYES DE 2002: UNA LEY QUE PROVEE APOYO A INDIVIDUOS CON INCAPACIDADES Y A SUS FAMILIAS (Summary) Complete text of Chapter 171 in Spanish
- CHAPTER 171 OF THE ACTS OF 2002 (Summary in Chinese)
- CAPÍTULO 171 DOS ATOS DE 2002 (Summary in Portuguese)
- Chapter 171 – State Agency Liaison Contact List
- What is Family Support?
- A Brief Overview on the History of Chapter 171
- Annual Flexible Family Support Plans by state agencies
Implementing a 21st Century Disability Policy
Written by MA21 and intended for families and individuals- as well as elected officials and other policymakers- to help them conceptualize what a comprehensive disability policy can and should look like. We hope and expect that other advocacy organizations and providers will embrace this document as well, creating consensus on a unified framework through which to view and improve public policy for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families. To read it Click Here
Another way to help
The ARC is one of our collaborating partners when it comes to advocating at the legislative level. The ARC of Massachusetts Action Center makes it easy to compose emails and letters online which are then sent automatically to the appropriate legislator (by your zip code). For further details, please visit: The ARC of Massachusetts Action Center